Reliable sources often have conflicting accounts. These two accounts of a dam on Hominy Creek show the same photo with two entirely different captions. The first photo is from the Asheville Citizen Times, 11/6/1932 and the other from J.L. Mashburn’s … Continue reading
from Dr. Joseph Robinson, great grandson of E.G. Carrier 1885-1886. E. G. Carrier arrives in Asheville, begins to acquire property in what will be West Asheville, and in 1886 begins building resort hotel. 1887. Carrier’s Asheville Sulphur Springs Hotel opens … Continue reading
> Ruins of the dam on near the Shelburne entrance to the greenway. The dam was built in 1892 to power the trolley to the Belmont Hotel in Sulphur Springs as well as electrifying the new development of West Asheville.
Rear view of the Hominy power plant, Asheville Electric Co. Print made from Caldwell (#193) original glass negative, dated 1905-6, stored in vault. Published 8/17/1930 “Sunday Citizen” which says this was the first power house in Asheville (and in … Continue reading
> Hominy Creek Lake View of the lake at the Hominy Power plant in West Asheville on Hominy Creek. E.G. Carrier built the first hydroelectric power plant in WNC, which powered the streetcar from the depot to Sulpher Springs Hotel, … Continue reading
from Pack Library Archives
> Mr. Byers standing atop a wall overlooking the canal in front of the Hominy Power Plant. See C001 for more information. Print made from Caldwell (#200) original glass negative stored in vault. Estimated date 1908 – from Pack NC … Continue reading
Hominy Power Plant dam, built 1890 by E.G. Carrier, 30 ft hight and 250 ft long, on the “Stevens” site, 2 mi SE of Sulphur Springs, in Buncombe Co. See C006 for more information. Print made from Caldwell (#201) original … Continue reading